Call Us: (08) 8952 7161
Shopping cart
There are no products in your cart.

The hood ornament used by the Brockway Motor Company was a husky dog with pulling harness; this gave Cortland, where the factory was,  the nickname of "Husky Town USA"

The Brockway Motor Company was originally founded by William Brockway as Brockway Carriage Works in Cortland, USA, in 1875. It was his son George who was responsible for transforming the business into a truck manufacturer in 1909. In association with the Chase Motor Company of Syracuse the first Brockway was released in 1910. It was a three cylinder 15 horsepower vehicle, that not surprisingly, greatly resembled a Chase truck. Approximately another 30 auto delivery wagons followed. These were to test the market. Brockway officially became incorporated as a truck manufacturer in 1912 and the marque became known as the “most rugged truck in the world”.
The onset of WW1 saw Brockway production turn towards military vehicles and this streamlined the operation. Within ten years Brockway had become one of the largest truck manufacturers in the United States producing an average of 5,500 trucks per annum. Production focused on custom built trucks in the heavy duty range and Brockway had a reputation for rugged reliability. 

Brockway was acquired the Indiana Truck Company in 1928 giving them a full range from 1-1/2 ton models up to 10 ton capacity. While some Indiana models were kept most were phased out. The following year Brockway attempted to merge with the Autocar Company after purchasing considerable shares in the company. This did not eventuate due to complications of the October 1929 stock market crash and Brockway’s President at the time, Martin O’Mara was forced to resign following conspiracy charges against him being lodged in the Supreme Court. Sales declined. Production dropped and Brockway struggled financially for a while and cut their losses by selling the Indiana division to the White Motor Company of Cleveland in 1932. White continued to sell Brockway designed Indiana trucks for the next year. By 1933 Brockway had been restructured under the Bankruptcy Act and went on to release many new models over the next few years. 

WWII saw Brockway again turn its entire operation to the war effort producing a chassis for the transportation of rubber pontoons and bridge building materials under contract to the military After the war these were adapted to civilian use as general carriers, airport crash tenders and crane carriers. Brockway was also a major supplier to the military during the Korean War of 1950 to 1952.  America was in recession after the Korean War and Brockway, like most other manufacturers struggled for survival. Many mergers took place during this time. The H&B American Machine Company attempted to purchase Brockway through a lease/purchase agreement but couldn’t raise the capital. Brockway continued on and in 1955 released their first diesel truck and two other failed mergers followed; one with the White Motor Company and the other with Continental Motor Corp who supplied the diesel engines in the new models. An agreement with Mack Trucks was signed in 1954 and this heralded the eventual purchase of Brockway in 1959 after a five year leasing period. 

As part of the Mack kennel Brockway went on to bigger things. Mack, whose identity had been associated with the bulldog emblem since WWI encouraged Brockway to come up with a logo of their own for their 1957 advertising campaign. The result was that the son of a Brockway employee suggested  the huskie dog. From 1958 the huskie became Brockways emblem. Brockway remained an independent division of Mack. . Mack and Brockway experienced internal problems caused by competing against each other for major contracts and industrial problems within their unions. After several attempts to sell Brockway the decision was made to  liquidate it. Brockway was at the time midway through finishing an order for Iran and these were completed in Miami. These were the last 45 Brockway trucks ever made. It was all over for Brockway in June 1977.

Visit Us

92 Norris Bell Drive
Alice Springs, NT

View Map

Opening Hours

Mon - Fri: 9am to 3pm
Sat - Sun: 9 am to 3pm
Unless otherwise advised


*Entry Fee Applies

Contact Us


Camping and general inquiries call reception on (08) 8955 5047

After Hours Camping: 3pm - 7pm Daily 0414 185 886

Administration please call  (08) 8952 7161


Book Now